Mike Mentzer started building his body when he was 12. Mentzer came from a family with a lot of education. His father would regularly test and encourage him to do well in school by giving him cash and other rewards. We’ll talk about Mike Mentzer workout, diet, and supplements in this article:
Mentzer started working out three times a week when he was 15. At that age, he could bench press 170 kg.
What We Know Now
- Height: 173 cm or 5’8″
- Weight: 102 kg, or 225 pounds.
- Birthdate: November 15, 1951
- Awards: Mr. Lancaster, Winner, 1971
Mike Mentzer’s training would include some High-Intensity Training (HIT), which was created in the 1970s by Arthur Jones. Mentzer mostly focused on a heavy-duty variation, which would require a weight that you could do between 6 and 9 times until you couldn’t do anymore.
Also, read Arnold Schwarzenegger Workout Routine & Diet Plan.
Mike Mentzer Workout Routine
Mike Mentzer always tried to stay in the best shape he could, so he would often only train for 3 days a week and take the other 4 days off. When he first started bodybuilding, he gave himself between 4 and 7 days off between workouts.
Here is what Mike Mentzer does to work out:
Mike Mentzer’s Chest Workout
Mike Mentzer did 5 different chest exercises, and he did an average of 5 sets of each.
Here is Mike Mentzer’s chest routine:
1. Incline dumbbell fly (5 sets, 8 reps)
2. Flat barbell bench press (5 sets, 6-8 reps)
3. Bodyweight dips (5 sets, 10 reps)
4. Flat dumbbell fly (5 sets, 8 reps)
5. Bench press with barbells at an angle (5 sets, 6-8 reps)
Mentzer did 5 different exercises for his back in this routine.
Here is what Mike Mentzer does to his back:
1. Pull-up with a straight arm (5 sets, 8-10 reps)
2. Supined cable pulldown with a close grip (5 sets, 8-10 reps)
3. Barbell row (5 sets, 5 reps)
4. Stand up and shrug the dumbbells (5 sets, 8-10 reps)
5. Upright row with a barbell (5 sets, 6-8 reps)
Mike Mentzer’s Shoulder Workout
On this shoulder routine, he would do an average of 5 sets and 10 reps of 5 different exercises.
Here is Mike Mentzer’s shoulder routine:
1. Dumbbell side lateral raise (5 sets, 8-10 reps)
2. Overhead press from behind the neck (5 sets, 6-8 reps)
3. Bent over dumbbell raise (5 sets, 8-10 reps)
4. Front barbell raise (5 sets, 8-10 reps)
5. Machine that you sit on (5 sets, 6-8 reps)
He did 6 different exercises for his legs in this routine.
Here is Mike Mentzer’s leg routine:
1. Single leg extension (5 sets, 8-10 reps)
2. Barbell squat (5 sets, 6-8 reps)
3. Hamstring curls with only one leg (5 sets, 8-10 reps)
4. Leg press (5 sets, 6-8 reps)
5. Walking dumbbell lunge (5 sets, 8-10 reps)
6. Calf lifts while standing (5 sets, 10-15 reps)
Mike Mentzer’s Arm Workout
Mentzer would do a total of 7 different arm exercises in this routine.
Here’s how Mike Mentzer works his arms:
1. Triceps pushdown with a cable (5 sets, 8-10 reps)
2. Bodyweight dip (5 sets, 10 reps)
3. Triceps extension with an overhead cable (5 sets, 8-10 reps)
4. Curl a dumbbell while standing (5 sets, 8-10 reps)
5. Chin-up with head down (5 sets, 6-8 reps)
6. Preacher curl with a barbell (5 sets, 8-10 reps)
7. Forearm curl with a barbell (5 sets, 10 reps)
Mike Mentzer Diet
Mike Mentzer knew he had to eat cleanly, and he ate a variety of foods. He would eat foods from four different food groups with each meal.
Here is Mike Mentzer’s diet:
- Lean meat
Mike Mentzer used these supplements to help him build muscle:
- Protein shake
Mike Mentzer competed for the first time in 1969, and a few years later he did it again. He was known for his strong shoulders and for being a fitness icon.
Don’t forget to tell your friends and family about this article.
Thanks for your blog, nice to read. Do not stop.